A friend's blog had comments a few weeks ago about stop light timing and its effect on average traffic speeds in the downtown area. I was thinking about this post during some recent travels downtown, as some of the streets I travel on a regular basis are within the grid of the timed lights. However, while many of the one-way streets are synchronized, some of the intersecting two-way streets are not so well-organized. Perhaps a better way to put it would be that they are, indeed, synchronized, but in such a way that guarantees one has to stop for each light.
I'm referring more to streets in the eastern section of the grid--Campbell, Wenzel and Shelby come to mind--on which I travel fairly often, but on which I must stop for almost every light and wait a LONG time for a green. It's also hard to do the "as soon as safe" departure from a traffic light, as motorists almost willfully misunderstand the maneuver and rail at that cyclist who just blew the light. Or, as has happened, I start out to follow another motorist through the intersection, only to have that motorist stop suddenly to offer me safe passage!
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment