03 December 2008

Trainer Tours

Last night was the first Trainer Tour of the season. The Louisville Bicycle Club offers 20 club miles credit for participation in this. The set-up is that folks bring their bicycles and stationary trainers for said bicycles (some folks use rollers--more on that some other time), set them up in a large room and do a cycling-specific workout to one or another in a series of videos. It's much less boring that doing such workouts alone, as there is some opportunity to socialize before, during and after the workout.

I plan to use these for "speed work," and use my regular commuting time to maintain general fitness. What I found last night was that my speed strength is way down from what it has been, despite the mileage I'm getting on my commutes. I was pondering this instead of concentrating on the workout part of the time, which may have been a factor. Oh, well, I have to start somewhere, I suppose.

Trainer Tours are Tuesday and Thursday evenings (with a few holiday exceptions) from now until the end of February (and there may be a few in March). Go to www.louisvillebicycleclub.org for details.

On another front, relating to my spill of a few weeks ago: Since I know people who know other people, my expression of outrage reached ears of folks who want to make that crossing safer for all cyclists. Ideas are bouncing around as I type this, with an eye toward painting something close enough to Uniform Traffic standards to help motorists realize that cyclists need to follow a certain path to cross the tracks safely, and help cyclists navigate that crossing safely by giving them room to do so apart from motor vehicles. More as it develops.

No comments: