11 February 2010

More from the blogosphere

Another blog had a link to this study, done in Oregon. They started with an advert titled, "Should cyclists pay a road tax?"

Despite an assortment of misgivings I (and others) have over the way the "study" was designed and implemented, it suggests a couple of glaring points of ignorance among the motoring public: that roads are fully funded through vehicle-specific taxes (like those associated with fuel purchases and license plate renewal) and that cyclists pay no road taxes (I think the tired old expression is something like "as if"). Yet again, it's clear that many people have no idea how road work is funded, nor that folks who cycle instead of driving, who have payroll taxes withheld by their employers and who pay sales tax on things they buy, underwrite road construction and maintenance costs in large measure.

I've mentioned this point of ignorance before. It would be really cool to see some analysis on a local basis, detailing how much money comes from vehicle-specific taxes and comparing it to how much is spent on road work.

No comments: