04 February 2010

riding at night

From a post to kycyclist, the local bicycle-focused list server:
Just an FYI to anyone on this list who may be riding regularly down
Westport road at night.

For the last several weeks on Monday and Tuesday nights while I have
been Driving West on Westport Road, under I-264 in the construction
zone, I have come up behind a recumbent rider (sometimes alone or
sometimes with another cyclist) between 6:15 and 7:40 p.m. (I don't
recall the exact times)

The rider(s) are lit-up pretty well with red lights in the back and very
bright headlights in the front. For the Most Part, they "Take the
Lane."

HOWEVER, THE RIDERS ARE STILL VERY VERY HARD TO SEE FROM BEHIND. I have
come up behind the rider(s) several times in my car and it's a little
surprising. I worry that those that are less attentive to cyclists may
not see them at all.

As you know, it is very dark on that section of road. There are no lane
markings and with cars coming the other direction, the red lights on the
bikes blend in.

I cycle pretty regularly down Westport in the daytime and at dusk and
dawn when I commute to work. I also know that there are really no other
alternatives to get from the East End inside I-264.

But, and some of you may be annoyed by this comment, Please Consider
whether you really need to be riding on this stretch of Road at Night.
I understand that if you are commuting you may have no choice. Is there
a way to become more visible?

I also know that every lane is a bike lane and we cyclists have the
right to be on the road, but ... I also have the right to smoke 4 packs
of cigarettes a day and eat fast food every meal, but I don't do it
because I know its bad for me (and its disgusting- but you understand my
point).
Frequent readers of my blog have seen images of my bike, including the one I linked for Mr Tucker (the author of the missive). Given the lights and reflectors mounted on my bike, I find it hard to believe that anyone who is not legally sight-impaired would have trouble seeing me or picking me out of the (scarce) light points on that section of roadway.

However, perhaps he's right. Perhaps I need a bit more light back there. Like, for example, a 100-watt driving lamp from a race car. With a flash mode. Or a Xenon strobe! Yeah! Make road users behind me TRULY blind! THAT sounds like a winning idea.

How about, instead, we address the root cause of the danger? Why not some better enforcement of the 25 MPH speed limit on that stretch of road? It's a construction zone, so fines are doubled--the police department could generate a windfall profit there in no time (said knowing full well that traffic tickets are not a good revenue source).

3 comments:

Barturtle said...

I was looking over those pictures and thinking about the conditions on Westport road. One thing I realized, is that because of the position of the Ryan, most of your lights and reflectives are on about the same level as car headlights, when viewed from the drivers seat of a car. On a twisty section of road, your jacket, which reflects white, will blend in with those headlights. I'm not sure what can be done without adding a SOLAS strobe. Perhaps a reflective safety triangle such as this http://shop.pedigreen.com/product.sc;jsessionid=0FE4E37C836307F865F331522BA9D817.qscstrfrnt04?categoryId=15&productId=76 in a different color than your other reflectives to fill in the dark space on the back of your seat, and maybe a light like I have on my helmet up top.

I have both lights and reflectives on 3 different levels on my Jamis, lowest-light on seatstay, reflective on fender; mid- light and reflector on seat bag; upper- safety vest, light and reflectives on helmet. But I also cover a lot more vertical area on my hybrid that you do on your 'bent.

bikeolounger said...

Good feedback, Timothy! I may add some color to the back soon (I have some green reflective vinyl in the garage...).

D Morse said...

Where are these pictures?

Someone is complaining that dual-superflashes are hard to see? I don't understand it. Timothy's theorey is that you're eclipsing car headlights and getting washed out? Seems unlikely.