Well, hot by February standards, that is. The afternoon high temperature was in the upper fifties Fahrenheit. In keeping with my occasional observance of seasonal milestones, it was my first ride of the year in short sleeves.
I rode the LBC 2:00 ride today. Once a month, this ride starts at the Baptist East/Milestone Fitness Center parking lot, and this was the day for February. Just to be different, I rode the Raleigh.
I've ridden the Raleigh on a couple of these Sunday afternoon jaunts over the last year and a half or so. I usually find that I'm tired of the saddle by the time I'm done, having spent so many years doing my long miles on 'bents. Today was no exception--I was ready to go back to my Vanguard or my Strada by the time I got up the small hill on Glenview.
I was pleased, however, at how much faster I was on that bike than the last time I did a club ride on it. As mentioned before, I recently changed the rear cog to a twenty-tooth one, from the seventeen-tooth one originally on the bike. The resulting increase in my pedaling cadence has made me a bit faster on the bike--better take-off acceleration, and better use of the three gear choices are more comfortable for my legs. I still wasn't fast by my standards--I fell behind the top two clusters of riders, and should have been able to stay in one or the other of those clusters had I been on the Strada--but the bike moves far better with the larger cog. Not bad for a fifteen-dollar investment in cog and a few chain half-links (retail).
Even better, I get to ride to work tomorrow! YAY! Tomorrow will be the final session for the February Tool School, so I'll be a bit late getting home. I'll enjoy the lighter traffic, I'm sure.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment