I ordered the bikes the other day. They arrived at the store today, as mentioned in my last post.
As I was examining the Crosstrail, I noted that it had threaded sites for a disc lock--those oh-so-Euro locks mounted (often) on the underside of the seat stays that immobilize the rear wheel, quite independent of locking the bike to a relatively immovable object such as a lamp post. My Vienna has similar threaded inserts, judging from the online images. Jenn's Live doesn't seem to have them, but I haven't had opportunity to examine the actual bikes yet. That comes tomorrow some time (after getting some work done--there are some repairs awaiting my attention when I get there in the morning).
I looked at the online catalogs for a couple of our primary parts vendors, and found this series of such locks at one. There is a model that has as accessories either a chain (with a fabric sleeve) or a cable that mates with the main lock. Here's the lock:
And here are the optional cable and chain:
I opted for the cable, as it's a shade longer than the chain (and likely lighter). I don't know if the little pouch will come with it--I expect to receive what I've ordered tomorrow morning some time. Anyway, here's a shot of the combination in use:
All three images are shamelessly copy/pasted from the Abus web site, by the way--I like the concept of these locks, but not enough to plagiarize the images.
The locks come with self-tapping screws, should the bike on which they are mounted not have pre-installed holes. I also have the ability to install threaded inserts into some frames, and may be able to do so if necessary here, just to make the installation a bit tidier. These locks are not cheap, nor are they light, but they seem a bit more practical than some I've seen--out of the way when not in use, easy to put into use and so on.
Jenn's bike comes with fenders. Mine did not. However, I have a set ready to mount, along with a rack for the rear. What I don't think I have is taillight mounts to go on the racks (Planet Bike makes a gizmo that bolts to a reflector bracket and accepts the SuperFlash taillights), although I think I have the rest of the odds and ends I need to make these bikes commute-ready. I'm not ready to buy more headlights this month, so I figure to move light sets from Jenn's Vanguard and from my Raleigh to the new bikes for the nonce.
Having read about them in another blog--probably Tex's Luavull Cycling--I've decided to try a different taillight than my standard Planet Bike Super Flash. If memory serves, Tim is quite hot on the Portland Design Works Radbot 1000 lights.
I know of brighter taillights, but given that these and my long-time favorite the SuperFlash are both visible at over a mile, I don't see the point. I honestly think that if the taillight is TOO bright, overtaking motorists will get target-fixation and run me down (or run me down to make the bright light quit flashing in their eyes). I don't see many bicycle commuters on my route, and the two or three I see on occasion are usually going the opposite direction, so I don't have time to look at their visibility profiles.
I guess that since I work in a bike shop, I tend to like having a tricked out commuter rig. I also want my wife to have her own tricked out rig. I don't just settle, in other words.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment