I finished January with a half-commute. I rode to work, but since Jenn was in Middletown with the truck and it was raining and below 40F, I opted out of riding home.
That's okay, though. I still had more miles in January of 2011 (473.2) than in five (!!) months of 2010. As mentioned, I also beat out my January and February 2010 miles combined. I fell short of besting my March or October 2010 miles by seventy-five or so, and was only forty miles shy of my November 2010 mileage.
Okay, so beating my June 2010 miles wasn't such a big deal--I spent almost two weeks out of town working RAAM that month, plus we moved at the end of that month. We spent much of May preparing to move, so I wasn't on the bike much then, either. I spent a week in December driving to work due to icy roads, and was off a few days over the holly-daze, so I didn't ride as much then as I might have otherwise. Besting my January/February 2010 miles has largely been a function of lowering my temperature threshold, although I recall there being a fair number of days those two months in 2010 that saw icy roadways as well.
On to February! I drove on the first--again, due to rainy weather. I rode this morning feeling that if I'd had a bit more of a sail to deploy I could have not pedaled at all. I was glad to be going downwind, and concerned that I'd be fighting that same wind intensity going home. The wind speed lessened a bit--from low- to mid-twenties to about fifteen knots by the time I was homeward-bound--and I chose my route to take advantage of some known windbreaks (rows of trees) instead of fighting the headwind all the way along Westport Road.
Jenn was out walking the dog when I got home. She came inside, fixed dinner, we ate dinner, and now we are both winding down before heading to bed.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment