19 February 2011

Is Jenn getting a new bike?

I got to ride to work four times over the last week wearing short sleeve jerseys. This morning was a bit different--I awoke to outdoor temperature in the 35F range. It's probably 50F outside as I type this. By the time I get on my way home (after store hours and Tool School), I'll still have the right combination of layers to get home comfortably.

On a slightly different front, Jenn and I talked for a while about her employer's lack of bike-friendly facilities. When she rides to work, she goes in by a back/side building entry, ducks into a restroom off the cafeteria, and changes clothes/does her hair, etc. The building dress code is "business professional," meaning that jeans are a no-no (save for special events having to do with United Way programs), shoes must meet a standard, and so on. Bike clothing is not approved. At all. There is no locker room, nor can she keep clothes at her work station and change closer to that site in the building. She lugs her panniers upstairs after changing, then lugs them back down when she gets ready to go home. It gets aggravating, and makes it a drag to ride some times.

As much as Jenn likes to ride her Vanguard to work, it's a hassle to deal with the lack of facilities at the work end of the route.

It's always a fine line between being avant garde on green transportation and looking like a weirdo to a careful company like hers. As much as they talk about careful husbandry of resources, saving money by not using a car as much is not encouraged actively.

To that end, we talked about her bike a bit. She wants some flexibility that her Vanguard doesn't really support, like the ability to ride to work wearing a skirt, or ability to deal with snow on the roads. Desirable features include a step-through frame and disc brakes. Being that I work for a Specialized dealer, I found this:






It's a Globe Live 3 Mixte. Yes, that's a Gates belt drive, pulling a Shimano Alfine 8-speed internal-gear-hub. Those are hydraulic disc brakes, too. The integrated front rack has a 25kg weight capacity. The double-leg Pletscher kickstand comes with the bike. I suspect that it would have mounting points for the euro-style rear wheel lock. Too cool!

No comments: