09 April 2011

Are they serious?

A woman stepped out to get her mail, and was hit by a car. According to the CeeJ, the motorist will not have charges filed against him.

Seriously? No charges filed? Really? The law won't do anything to this driver for ignoring the fact that people may reach out for their mail on their residential streets?

The driver even admitted to having looked away from his path, for crying out loud! It's HIS FREAKIN' FAULT!! He was probably going too dratted fast, too!

I get sick of folks using my neighborhood as a speedy cut-through. I realize that it's a short-cut from Washburn to Lyndon Lanes, and is useful in that way. I don't much like it, but I can't change that. However, that folks go through here at speeds over forty miles an hour (listening to their engines, I can tell they are going pretty fast) is criminal. Kids play in this neighborhood. People are backing out of driveways.

I suspect that part of the reason that charges won't be filed is that there is a gaping hole in our law. Police are not able to charge a motorist appropriately when the motorist's behavior is so egregious. There was a push for a bill a couple years ago that would have helped correct this, but it fell short. Maybe we can dust it off and push for it again.

3 comments:

Duncan Watson said...

I agree with you. There have been a number of these incidents and the lack of prosecution is insane.

Anonymous said...

It isn't just people cutting through neighborhoods that do this. People do this in their own neighborhoods putting the lives of their own families and neighbors at risk.

Looking at Trail Ridge Road, I'm guessing it has a 25mph speed limit. At that speed it's fairly easy to avoid hitting a pedestrian with even a small amount of care while driving.

Barturtle said...

Technically in Prospect, where I live, the speed limit on every road with the exception of US42 is 25. I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle go that slow, unless I was driving it, or it was stuck behind me on my bike.

Yes the person who was not controlling their motorized battering ram should be charged. Sadly in this country you'll get sued for coffee being too hot, but not for failure to control a deadly weapon.