We weathered the weather events without harm. There was a CATV wire or two across my driveway this morning, and I'm sure I'll find a few extra twigs scattered about the yard when I look more carefully, but the house is intact, as are our trees.
The next-door neighbor was not so lucky. There is an apartment building next door to me, with four or five units. A tree near my garage lost a branch about a foot in diameter, and it landed on the windscreen of one of the tenants' cars. I'm not sure how much damage was done (I didn't get in and poke around enough), but I don't think it would be a total loss.
Lots of folks in the path of this storm had no electricity, at least for a while. I figure I'm fortunate, and I'll accept that good fortune.
The bike ride to work this morning was uneventful, aside from a bit of crosswind that sometimes made for interesting traffic interactions.
Now that such comments are out of the way, I'll get to the over-the-weekend stuff I've been meaning to put down--I've spent much of the last two days busy with after-weekend follow-up stuff and the assorted fire drills at the store, and haven't had time to put my thoughts in order for this blog (not that they are in any order now...).
Jenn and I drove to Lexington Friday afternoon for her League Cycling Instructor seminar. I went along as an assistant to the instructor, and to soak up some newer ideas for my own teaching. It's a long weekend of class work and parking lot drills, with not much riding otherwise (I had accumulated about twenty miles over two days). However, the candidates learned quite a bit about themselves as teachers and about teaching their eventual students. We met some new friends in the bargain, so it will be a good thing overall.
The League of American Bicyclists has made some subtle changes in their programming, in that candidates who complete the seminar are not fully considered to be League Cycling Instructors until after they have helped teach a few classes post-seminar.
And, yes, Jenn will soon have her full LCI status.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment