At current rates, I'll break the two-thousand-bike-miles mark Friday. I have at least twenty miles' worth of errand-running to do Thursday, which puts my two-thousand-mile point somewhere along my homeward route Friday evening. I may have to do the math and be watching my odometer that trip.
I opted for my Anchorage route getting home last night--it's a little calmer, traffic-wise, and has better wind protection than going home on Westport Road. I take Altawood Court to get off a stretch of LaGrange Road that is just unpleasant. As I cruised through Altawood, I startled some deer. I saw at least seven or eight of them, jumping a fence to get TO the road where I was approaching, then rushing off in all directions (some re-crossing the road a time or two, just to run more, I suppose). Two or three rushed off to my right, and four stopped in the yard to my left and stood to watch me pass by them. I guess since I was no longer moving toward them, they figured they could afford to see what I was going to do rather than keep running. A couple of them were small--as if they were not fully mature but were old enough to have lost their spots. I passed within about thirty feet of one of them, and the farthest of the four was no more than forty feet away from the road.
I like seeing deer--they are pretty. It's also true that I have mixed feelings about being that close to them--whether or not I'm on a bicycle. I don't want them to feel so threatened by me that they kick me, nor do I want one to not see me and jump into my path at the wrong moment. I usually don't have to worry about that, as they are pretty wary critters.
However, I came closer to one a dozen years ago. I was on my way to work, riding on Aiken Road near its bridge crossing Floyd's Fork. Two deer were running parallel to the roadway, but opted to cross the road to get into woody cover. They crossed ahead of me, but one forgot about the wire fence she had to jump, and ran into it twice, bouncing off and down the embankment so that her rump was within a few feet of me as I passed on the road. Had I crowded the fog line, I could have slapped her rump as I passed (and would likely have been kicked across the road for doing so--unwelcome hand-to-body contact between males and females is never a good idea).
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
1 comment:
"unwelcome hand-to-body contact between males and females is never a good idea"
Yeah, I've been kicked a few times.
Post a Comment