17 January 2009

Annual Club Banquet

It is now official: I have been elected as the Louisville Bicycle Club Vice President for Education.

I simply have to not be officious.

I ran unopposed for the slot. It's a volunteer position, meaning I don't get money but get to work a LOT for the good of cycling in our community. I've done a lot of the "nuts and bolts" work before--I am a League Cycling Instructor, and have been involved in the Club's education programs for several years in one capacity or another. Now I get to be "behind the scenes" more, and participate in Club Executive Committee meetings, receive email through the Club web site, be privy to all sorts of scandalous information on what the club is doing--in short, an enviable position. Yeah, right. If it's so enviable, how come nobody else ran?

The guys who had held the post before me did very good jobs. I hope I can honor their work by continuing it, and do well on my own scale.

Otherwise, the banquet was fun. We got to socialize a good bit before and after. The food was banquet fare--nothing to cause excitement, but nothing poisonous, either. They didn't have beer (although they had a couple of options of canned swill masquerading as beer).

It was the first time for me to wear my latest kilt. My mother made me one for the recent gift-giving holiday, and it's just too nice to wear to work on a daily basis as I do with most of my contemporary kilts. It turned out nicely, and I'm happy to have it.

Jenn also spent some time today modifying a sport coat I'd found at a thrift store to make it a kilt jacket. It's now a couple inches shorter overall, and the hem approaching the placket (if a jacket has a placket, or if that's the right term) curves more to accommodate the sporran. She did a great job, and the jacket looks good with the new kilt. If folks are eager to see pictures, I'll add one in here somehow.

Since I've gotten a vote for pictures, I'll show one:


3 comments:

Susan said...

We need pics!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the position in the LBC. I'm sure you'll do a good job.

Oh, and you don't wear a kilt on the recumbent do you? :)

bikeolounger said...

No, David, I don't ride the 'bents while wearing a kilt. I found that the material of the kilt interferes with steering them.
(;-) <---helmeted rider smiley

I have, however, ridden the Raleigh while wearing a kilt, with no troubles whatsoever. The apron doesn't fly up and answer "the question" at all.