I have followed a couple blogs for a while, and added another today. The first two I put on my list are local folks--one I've known for several years, and one I met through an email list server for local utility cyclists. Through reading comments on these blogs, I've encountered a few other bloggers (if that's the term--I'm woefully behind on the lingo). One such person is rebuilding an old Fuji, and is relating some of the fun being had on that project. As the owner of an older bike, and the partner to a woman with an almost-as-old bike, AND as a former bike shop service manager, such projects always intrigue me. I really enjoy seeing people willing to put effort into getting on bikes.
When I worked in the shop, I often discouraged people who wanted to revitalize such bikes, or at least who wanted to pay me to do so. The expression I often used was along the lines of, "If you went to sell this at a garage sale, you could get $15. If you put $125 into fixing it, including tuning, tires, tubes, cables and brake pads, you could get $50 for it at a garage sale."
It's different, though, when one does the work instead of hiring it done by a shop. It becomes a much more satisfying experience--one that builds self-confidence, even, especially if it's the first time one does such a thing. Most of that $125 figure I mentioned was labor, too, so the cost comes down a bit. Another factor is that the bike is not likely to be sold right away--if one puts that sort of time and energy into it, the bike will probably get used more or there is an emotional attachment to the bike for some other reason (equally valid, I must add). I reaquainted myself with this phenomenon as I reworked and modified my Raleigh over the last few months. I figure on using Jenn's new-to-her old bike as a teaching tool to help her learn about fixing bikes. I know from experience that she will enjoy that opportunity to learn and do stuff.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
1 comment:
Hi Tom, You're quite right. I bought the old Fuji for two reasons. One: to use as a bad weather, beater, utility bike.
Two: to learn how to do things for myself without experimenting on the nice road bike and possibly screwing something up.
Post a Comment