It isn't as if we could stop it from snowing.
With snow on the ground, my haul to work (in the car) was even slower than my ride to work usually is. When I arrived at my office, my supervisor was sitting at my desk, and was genuinely surprised to see me. I told him it was just a little snow, and that snowfall is measured in feet rather than inches.
He has reason to dislike driving in snow. He's been in two wrecks due to snow, and both involved injuries.
The snowfall has disrupted other things as well. UPS has some of their salaried staff on call to work at the air sort, to pick up slack caused by folks not being able to get to work. Schools are not in session today.
And all over a little snow flurry. As I mentioned, snowfall is measured in feet not in inches. Anything less than a foot is a mere flurry, and the greater inconvenience is that folks don't know how to drive in it.
That and the fact that I needed new tires for my truck a month ago.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
4 comments:
I did drive (slide?) into work this morning.
I used to live in Michigan, and have seen much more snow on a regular basis, but there is a difference.
The city/county/state road crews don't have the equipment, manpower, or budget to quickly and effectively clear snow.
So, if this had been Michigan, and we had gotten 18 inches, the roads would be in better shape for the morning commute. I've also noticed that the paved shoulders are usually plowed in Michigan. Not here, so riding along Hwy 62 would have been very dicey.
I happened on the expression, "Snowfall is measured in feet, not in inches" several years ago, and still find it amusing. It's a great way to put our paltry little flurries in perspective.
And folks don't know how to drive in it, so they slide all over the place. I don't want them sliding into me, especially if I'm on the bridge.
It's still raining here and has been for 2 days. Later this afternoon, the cold air you have should hit here. Then it's all gonna freeze.
Susan, I've often heard the combination of sleet, freezing rain and rain referred to as "Sleeze." I think it appropriate.
Post a Comment