15 January 2009

Too cold to ride

Since the weather (a topic on everyone's mind) is too cold for me to ride, I've not had much to say about riding this week. One friend rode to work yesterday, and part way home, only to find that the combination of weather and idiot motorists was more than he was willing to tolerate. I certainly don't hold that against him--I didn't even get on my bike.

On the other hand, I drove out to Crestwood to work on a customer's bike, and picked up more parts for Jenn's commuter rig. Next thing to do is move it and some tools inside so that she can work on it in the relative comfort of the house--my garage is not heated.

I don't expect to ride my bike for a few days yet. I don't have the right cycling gear for sub-zero wind chill ratings.

Jenn's mother expressed some concern over my habit of wearing kilts when I'm not cycling or doing other cycling-related stuff, especially in the cold weather we're experiencing. I tried to be polite when I mentioned that my job at the bike shop was the first one I'd had as an adult that didn't involve extended periods of time outdoors in all manner of weather--I worked for a bit more than nine years at UPS as a ramp rat, driving Tugs, fueling aircraft for two of those years, loading and unloading aircraft cargo decks and the like. I know how to dress for weather when I need do so. I choose to not dress for the combination of sub-25F temps and cycling, but am quite capable of dealing with sub-zero temps for hours at a time if I need to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is too cold to ride, but that's not why I aborted my ride home yesterday.

However, I have decided I'm not riding again until it warms up. This single-digit stuff is no fun.