It's cloudy and cool...not cold enough to not ride, but I need to get other things done this morning. Jenn's car is making noises that we need to diagnose and perhaps fix (It's probably time for brake pads).
Another person has joined the very small list of folks who are reading this (thanks, Tex, for the shout out Friday afternoon--sorry I didn't recognize you at the time).
Tim (Tex), David and others have formed the River City Cycling Society. Their mission is to ride their rides regardless of weather, but with what appears to be an ethos similar to the one we had when the Louisville Recumbent Riders' Group was active--slowest rider sets the pace. I may ride with them from time to time, but as I'm a club officer, and doing a fair bit of teaching over the next six months or so, my fun cycling will likely be with more of a speed focus.
Their formation coincides with a recent round of unrelated commentary on the Louisville Bicycle Club's forum regarding the perception that the club riders are mostly "hammerheads." I may share some expanded thoughts on this perception and its causes at some point.
I wish these folks well, and look forward to riding with them some. My own experience was that folks had a great deal of fun, for a while, but eventually moved on to other interests. Some of our riders opted to ride LBC rides at faster paces, some have all but disappeared after following newer interests. The core of RCCS is folks who ride almost daily and who are dedicated year-round riders, so I expect their results will differ from mine.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
2 comments:
Thanks for the "shout out" on the RCCS. I think the ethos is/will be more adventure ride than "slowest sets the pace". Granted, there is also a direct correlation with the "hammerheads" comment too. When I do club rides, I am smack between 2 types of riders- good steady pace folks at say 15-17mph, but ahead of the really slow ones. What's interesting is that Dave made the same comment, and that's why we decided to go forward with the RCCS idea. Aside from pace, I hope the RCCS also provides a little more elbow room for the non-lycra, non-Carbo/Alum crowd. The LBC rides I show up to, I would say 95% of the riders fit in that broad, perhaps-unfair description. And you know what, that's alright. They should do it if they want to. I'm just wondering if more folks out there want a variable pace with room to stop for pics, ride some off the beaten path, and use the bike for something other than "training". I figure if it doesn't go anywhere, then at least I've tried.
Thanks though, and I look forward to what you can do in Educ. You seem like a good guy for it.
Hey, I'm reading this :)
Good stuff - good to know who those wack-jobs that ride when it's in the 20s are and what they are thinking.
You and Tex keep it up.
Ben near Hikes Point.
Post a Comment