25 January 2009

Invasion of kilted guys

As I've noted before, when I'm not on a bicycle or getting ready to ride a bicycle or just have gotten off a bicycle, I'm probably wearing a kilt instead of trews. After having a sense for some years that there was something wrong with a society that won't let men wear a manly analog to a skirt without having to invest tons of money in formal Scottish hand-tailored outfits, I encountered an image of a guy wearing a Utilikilt a bit more than a year and a half ago.

I bought one, and dug around online to find out more about contemporary kilts. There is a ton of information on the web--some of which is even useful--so sure enough, I encountered a number of forums where folks who like kilts discuss things. My favorite of these is the Brotherhood of the Kilt, although I also post on the forum at XMarkstheScot.

A common thing on these forums is for members to get together for a "kilt night," which can be as simple as folks getting together for dinner and a few brews at a restaurant of someone's choosing. Some of these things run to formal wear, but I'm not a formal wear kind of guy, and BBC in St Matthews is not a formal kind of place.

We were getting ready for a group shot when Jenn took this picture:



Jenn took the group shot with another fellow's camera. Good thing, too, as it has a much stronger flash than mine.

In the course of doing weekend chores and recovering from being out too late for the gathering, I didn't get to ride on Sunday. I would have enjoyed riding with the RCCS folks, but will have to work on doing so next time.

No comments: