not yet decided. When I left the office, it was barely drizzling. I opted for the Illuminite jacket instead of the rain cape. Of course, by the time I was halfway to the bridge, I was pretty damp to the skin, so when the rain intensified on me, it didn't make much sense to stop and open packs to get out the cape (and risk getting everything in the pack wet).
It seems a corollary to Murphy's Law: If I drive, I don't get called at 10:00AM to be informed I have a meeting in Louisville at 11:00AM. If I ride, I rarely get such a call, but it happened today. I got to ride to Liberty Street from my New Albany office and back in the middle of my work day. Four trips across the bridge in one day, yet again. Good thing I like to ride!
On the way to Liberty Street, I realized that my left crank cotter pin was loose. When I got to the main office, I had a few minutes before my meeting so I scrounged a hammer and tightened the pin. That lasted until I got back on the bike on my way to New Albany, so I stopped at Bicycle Couriers for a replacement pin. I tightened the old pin rather than spend the time replacing it, and had better luck this time: It lasted until I was on my way home from New Albany. When I got home, I replaced the pin. Fortune was with me this time, the pin was trashed but the crank arm and spindle were fine. Not only that, the pin I bought from Couriers was the right size (there are three different sizes, and I'm not sure the guy who helped me realized that). Now to get a replacement pin for the other side, as I'm sure it will fail before long.
On other topics: My friend Barry made an entry in his blog that started a firestorm of unpleasant language. It was appalling--bicycle riders calling other bicycle riders obnoxious names for being in favor of obeying the law. While there were several folks who used unpleasant words, one in particular seems to relish being a large part of the problem rather than the solution. His crude blog name says much about him, and I consider him one of the rude road users rather than a polite road user.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
1 comment:
Well, it sounds like you had a good time, even with things not quite going as planned.
My rain cape arrived today, so I took the bike for a quick 1.5 mile spin here in Charlestown (in the pouring rain). My legs still got pretty wet, but I think it will work well enough to prevent hypothermia. I'm more worried about the 'parachute effect'. :)
Post a Comment