I rode today. I figured that I had bought rain gear just so I could ride on days like this (or wetter), I ought to go on and use the stuff.
Of course, when I got outside, it wasn't raining. As I loaded the bike, I was wearing my Illuminite jacket and tights (runners' wear is great for utility cycling), and put the rain pants and cape in my bag "just in case it rained hard." Once I got on the bike, it started a minor drizzle--just enough to dampen the front of my tights. It never rained hard on me this morning, and I was only splashed by an oncoming car once on my way to work. As a result, I have yet to really test the new rain cape. Oh, well. I have it in the pack, ready to use if it gets wet for my trip home. It's supposed to be windy tomorrow, and as I'm driving anyway (have to go teach tomorrow evening, too), my next ride to work day would be Thursday anyway.
Last night was the first class of Park Tool School for this session. It's a great group of students, some of whom already have some experience repairing their own bikes. I've heard the expression, "a plan never survives through its execution," or some such, meaning that plans get altered in mid-use. Such was the case last night--we went through much more material than I expected. That's okay, it gives us more time for the coming work, that is a bit more "hands on," and more time consuming. Part of the reason is that everyone in the class had changed tires before, and I didn't have to spend as much time on that as the course outline allotted.
The whole thing about teaching is that it's a learning process. If I don't learn something, I'm not doing a good job teaching.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
1 comment:
I'm jealous of your students. Although I could've skipped the tire changing part too. I've become unfortunately proficient.
Post a Comment