This time of year, it's popular in some families to generate "wish lists" for the upcoming holly-dazed gift-giving season. While not quite on scale with such things (I don't have any family members that are able to simply "gift" me one), I poked around looking at velomobiles a bit today.
You've heard of them, surely! Velomobiles are, essentially, recumbent trikes with full enclosures to keep the weather off the rider. Some are really zoomy-looking, like the WAW. Some look a bit more practical, like the Cab-Bike, seen above.
I think they rock! I would LOVE to see a bunch of these in Louisville. Or anywhere, for that matter. There are thousands of them in Europe, and a few scattered about North America.
The hurdle to getting one, for me, is multi-fold: I can buy a car for the price of a decent velomobile (although the car would carry with it MUCH greater operating expenses), I don't currently have a place to keep one (my garage is pretty full, although that could change in a year or two as we get truly moved in to the house) and several of the more visually-alluring models are made for people with MUCH narrower frames than my own.
In reading about them a bit today, I reacquainted myself with the Alleweder, that originated in Holland a couple decades ago. There are two primary variants, with lots of room for customization. The most accessible one here in America is probably the Flevobike Alleweder, as available through Velomobile USA. I've read comments from several owners that claim it to be fairly comfortable in hot weather as well as cool. It addresses most of my issues regarding rain, despite having an open top (fabric roof kits are out there, apparently). It's hard to not see, as the skin is slick aluminum (with a composite nose cone that presumably would contain headlights--taillights can be mounted to the vertical panel in the tail, and turn signals are available to mount on the skin). As VMs go, they aren't as pricey (Velomobile USA lists the kit price at $3700 or $3800, plus accessories and job-specific tools. Complete vehicle is about $6K, plus options).
As I said, I can buy a cheap car for that money. Still, with the price of gas, insurance and operating expenses like oil changes, tires and other repairs, I have to wonder.
Jenn still wants us to have a car of some sort. I get that. There are times when we would like to socialize with another couple who don't ride, or travel farther than we want to pedal or faster than pedaling a velomobile would get us there. At the moment, a velomobile is a few points down the list from several other things in the needs department.
I've also entertained the fantasy of starting a velomobile shop in Louisville, based in part on the business model of Velomobile USA in Midland, Texas. There is a former gas station in the Clifton area of Frankfort Avenue that I think would be really cool as a site for this sort of business--I can imagine encasing the existing building and lot in a low-e glass shell, and displaying an assortment of velomobiles around "pumps" on the former pump islands, with the pumps labeled "Coffee," "Gatorade" or "Perpetuem." While I'm being goofy about such fantasies, the old service bays of the gas station building would be the assembly/repair/tuning area, and automobile parking is out back instead of up front.
Maybe if I hit the Powerball Jackpot next time...except that I'd have to buy a ticket, and I rarely do that. I figure I can't lose at Powerball if I don't play.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
1 comment:
I have been looking longingly at velomobiles for a while. They don't have the same parking benefits as bikes though. Which means I'd have to pay to park it at work.
Owning one is on my "bucket list", but it'll be years (or decades) before that happens.
Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment