18 November 2010

Look where the @#$% you are going, motorist!

A friend of mine was hit by a car yesterday afternoon. 4 PM, so not dark at all (a bit sunny, in fact), semi-clear skies (dry road), and stopped for a red light. The two (or more) flashers mounted to his cargo trailer were on blinky mode. I'll quote Ian's post to a local list server:

So I guess I'm not as lucky as the bike ninja ......around 4pm I was hit from behind while sitting at a red light. (Ewing & Frankfort) The 20something driver stuck her head out and asked if I was ok and what I needed, I said I was not okay and needed her info.....
I turned to get my note pad and she took off!  I got the plate, made a report (was told by LMPD it would be available in 10 days), chatted with EMS ( who was trying to convince me that he just saw me 1.5 weeks ago on an emergency run....
I still think he was messing with me, kinda pissed me off)  and now I'm at the ER getting checked out. While at the light, I was sitting on the top tube with on foot on the ground and when hit the saddle jabbed my lower back pretty good. So, no soup the rest of the week while things get sorted.  -Ian.   PS, I had all my blinkies on, too.

"Hit and run" like this is a misdemeanor crime. The motorist could be fined up to $2000 and jailed for up to a year, although realistically, she'll likely get a lesser sentence, and that's IF she is successfully prosecuted (or charged at all) by Louisville Metro Government.

Motorists need to be held accountable for their actions. This one clearly was not willing to be an adult and accept that there are consequences for inattentive "operation" of a motor vehicle.

Edit: This has even made the web site of the Courier-Journal.

Sheesh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just heard about Ian's accident earlier this morning. Poor guy. I didn't know the details - only that he got rear-ended and was quite lucky he's ok. I can't believe the driver took off! But I guess I shouldn't really be surprised though. Good that he was able to get her plate number. I hope he sues the crap out of her.

bikeolounger said...

I've seen Ian on his bike, Alice. It's as hard to not see him as it is to not see me. Whether he brings civil suit against her is yet to be determined, but she can be fined by the City if he presses it that way.