22 November 2010

It's almost turkey day!

I got to ride the tandem with Jenn yesterday, and we enjoyed the ride as always. The Club ride for the day started at Baptist East/Milestone Fitness, so we rode over, did the ride, stayed for the club meeting, then rode home. I was prepared for the meeting to run until dark, which means I rigged the headlight from my Raleigh so that I could see to ride home, as the bike already has dedicated rear flashers.

My headlight mount for the tandem is a work in progress. I fashioned the basic mount some time back, when we were still riding the Micou's tandem. My original thought was to attach the mount to the bike with Velcro straps, including the battery mounting strap, but I found that a bit less than secure on rough roads. I didn't have a huge selection of PVC fittings at first, but was able to get some stuff from the hardware store so that I could create a rough draft piece.

I keep finding stuff I want it to do better, so I continue to experiment with this PVC one until I have all the design flaws figured out. I'll then make one out of new fittings so that I can have it look better--I have to agree with Jenn when she says the PVC white with Oatey PVC Primer Purple splotches on it isn't all that attractive.

In any case, we now have a bit over seven hundred miles on tandems this year, split between the bike we borrowed and the bike we now own. I have more miles on my Raleigh than I do on the tandem this year, but only by a couple hundred, and I ride the Raleigh at least once a week. Jenn and I don't get on the tandem every week, but I hope to put more miles on it next year.

The bikes that get the least miles are the "fast" bikes--the Strada and the Giro.

No comments: