11 November 2010

Lots o' miles

As of my return home today, I'm three round trips to work shy of five thousand miles for this year. That's 5000 miles. That, dear readers (both of you), is a personal record.

My prior personal record was about three thousand, in a "fiscal year" instead of a calendar year, that being the time from May or so of 1999, when I moved into my mother's house to reduce my commute to my then-new job at a bike shop in Middletown to late April of the following year, a time that saw me commuting by bike more often than not (plus riding a fair bit with my friend, Harry on most Wednesdays).

I didn't track the miles well enough over the time I worked for New Directions to get even a semi-accurate count, so I don't really know how much I rode in the year between the time I was assigned the property manager position in N'Awb'ny and the time I left New Directions in July of 2009. I rode to work fairly often during the four months or so prior to my title change at that agency, but it was typically a "drive to work on Monday, hauling the bike in the process, then drive home on Friday so I could have my truck for the weekend" thing. I raised a few eyebrows with my willingness to bicycle much of the time while I worked as a property manager, as I recall. It was during that time that I started keeping this blog, too. I could probably go back through those posts and figure out a rough estimate of how many times I rode to work and what sort of miles I compiled, but it isn't really worth my time right now.

It's kind of neat to be setting new personal records with every mile I ride. Knowing that I've been doing so for a couple weeks (if I had to guess, I'd say I rode 4K miles in the year before I started working at the bike shop as my primary job) is kind of neat, too.

It fits with the other personal record I set daily: Every day, I set a new record for the number of days I've been happily married. Of course, given that I'm in the second year of my first marriage, well...

No comments: