I didn't know Johnathan Williams, or don't remember meeting him. He died this morning as a result of being hit by a car as he cycled on Hurstbourne Parkway near Seaton Springs Parkway. He was apparently in the left lane when an overtaking motorist came over a rise in the road and, not seeing him in time to keep from doing so, hit him.
According to the article in the C-J, Mr. Williams was wearing dark clothing, and his bicycle lacked reflectors (and, presumably, lights, although the article doesn't address this point). The crash happened a bit before 5 AM, well before it was light enough that I would ride without lights (and my commuting bikes have reflectors, as both of my regular readers know).
I am not able to speculate on whether Mr. Williams was working toward a left turn, or had just joined the road and was working toward the right lane, or just what was happening. He has paid, and his family and friends are paying, an exorbitant price for his mistake.
I'm not sure about absolving the motorist of blame, though. Even recognizing that a) Mr. Williams would have been very hard to see, b) one typically wouldn't expect a vehicle moving that slow on that part of the road at that time of morning, and c) I have no idea what mental condition the motorist was in at the time of the crash (still drowsy from leaving the house too soon after getting out of bed? Tired from working too much? Fully alert and aware of what was happening? All are possible), I also firmly believe that driving so fast you cannot react to information "brought to light" with one's own headlights is "too fast for conditions." While I must concede that the majority of the fault lies with Mr. Williams, the driver (who is not named in the paper's site) is not totally without guilt, and will live with that for a long time.
I feel bad for all involved.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
1 comment:
yes, in the end it's really bad all round. I can't help, though, thinking that motorists get a regular pass for actions for which they excoriate cyclists. Think the blown stop sign. I roll through them, but 75% of vehicles do too, and drivers don't berate them. As to this accident, as often said, they are rarely accidents; someone's behavior is at fault and we'll probably never know the actual answer to that.
Post a Comment