12 January 2011

I don't have a bike with snow tires...

...so I drove to work. Again. For the second time this week, and what will likely be the second of a string of times, as the temperatures are not high enough that the roads are clearing off effectively. There remains a small ice floe at the south end of my street. I can get around it by using other streets, but those streets have some of that annoying fake brick that jars the bike's lights into far more pieces than they were designed to have.

I keep wanting a snow and ice bike. We don't have the money for me to buy one this week, or month, so I get to spend money on gas instead.

If my commute was more urban, I might be able to make do with the bikes I have--I've ridden the Raleigh on packed snow, and it did reasonably well. All the clothing layers I would be wearing would serve as padding if I fell--a little bit of padding, anyway.

Last night was the first night of our seventh Tool School class. I normally limit the class to seven students, but wound up with nine this time for some reason. It's a good group of folks, so I think we'll be okay. Having nine students will get pretty busy for me the last two nights--good thing Bob will be there to help me with the hands-on stuff we'll be doing.

No comments: