16 January 2011

Mid-month Sunday stuff

I am now set to begin my third term as Louisville Bicycle Club VP Education. The Club's annual banquet was last night, and part of the club business on such occasions is election of officers. Nobody stepped up to run against me, meaning that either a) I'm doing a good enough job that nobody figures they can do better or more likely b) I'm doing it well enough and nobody else wants to do it.

It isn't like it's a power trip or anything.

The cycling year is getting off to a good start, as I mentioned yesterday. I now have 231 miles for the year, compared to 252 that I had by the end of February last year. Jenn and I rode the tandem to Baptist East/Milestone Fitness Center for the 2:00 club ride, rode the ride, and rode home from the ride. Both of us were a bit chilled by the time we got home--we had both under-dressed just slightly. I was actually pretty warm around my shoulders most of the ride--as shown by the fact that my shirt was sweaty in that area, but that sweat was cooling off a bit faster than I like on the three-mile ride home.

Since I live outside Ian's delivery zones, I hadn't taken opportunity to try any of his soups. I had some stuff to drop by his house the other day, and procured a sample of his peanut soup to share with Jenn. We planned to enjoy it after the ride today, and boy, was it good.

Tim mentioned on his blog the other day, and I had linked to Facebook a few days before that, that Ian got some good press on the Surly Bikes blog a bit more than a week ago. I don't know how Surly got wind of all this--other than the fact that I've been in contact with them on a weekly basis getting updates on when we can get Ian a new bike to pull the soup cart. After the hit-and-run just before Turkey Day, Ian had been off the bike for a few weeks. Now, he's riding what's left of the bent Big Dummy, hoping it holds together until the new one arrives, hopefully later this month. Surly is awaiting some parts from Xtracycle before they ship bikes to dealers, so don't go fussing at Surly. No real need to squawk at Xtracycle, either, at this point--I'm given to understand that the parts are in transit to them already, and it's only a matter of time before things get delivered and we get to have Ian on his new rig.

2 comments:

LvilleTex said...

Good for you, Tom, for trying to help Ian with the Surly folks. He deserves it for trying such a cool concept. The Q is, why isn't her (I believe the runner-over was a she) insurance paying for a new Dummy?

bikeolounger said...

The Surly folks are jazzed at Ian's concept, for sure. As soon as they can ship a bike, they will.

I've heard some things about the crash (from Ian) that I'm not sure are for open discussion. Bottom line is that Ian's coming along nicely!