23 March 2009

anger management

I try to be a peaceful sort. I don't typically consider violent consequences to others' actions as a first resort.

However, there are exceptions. One came to the forefront of my consciousness a few months ago, when a not-very-polite motorist cut me off, causing me to fall on the railroad crossing on Frankfort Avenue.

Another was this afternoon. The target of my ire is another cyclist.

As a cycling instructor, I repeatedly and pointedly stress the importance of not "threading the needle" between lines of cars waiting for a traffic light. I also strongly discourage blowing such traffic lights, especially when there are numerous cars around with their operators as witnesses. The one thing such a maneuver is most effective at doing is antagonizing motorists so that they wish ill on cyclists as a class of road users.

As I was waiting, third in line, for the light to change at Stilz Avenue (eastbound on Frankfort Avenue), I was passed by a person misusing a bicycle (I refuse to call such a person a cyclist) in exactly that manner.

I wanted to toss a pump through the guy's wheel. While he was moving. Fast. And have the pump not break when the spokes caught it against the frame. As he was being tailgated by an angry motorist (assuming I could break off to a safe travel path of my own).

As I realized what the twit was doing, I hollered out, "Dude, UNCOOL!!" partially hoping that other motorists would hear me and recognize that cyclists decry such behavior as much as they do. The twit (again, I refuse to consider him a cyclist) did what any coward would do--he sped up in such a way that I, trapped behind cars waiting for a green light, could not catch him and discuss his errant ways, probably smiling to himself, smug in the certainty that the minute he saved by running the next four traffic lights made HIS the superior position in our discussion.

My mood was not helped any when, as the anger was dissipating, I approached the intersection at Chenoweth Lane to witness a Rural Metro Ambulance, number 23 (I think), turn right onto Breckenridge Lane, across my path, from the left lane. This without the driver first (or ever, for that matter) turning on the siren or emergency lights. They may be getting a phone call in a minute, too...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw two "twits" downtown on Market Street while riding home. One riding slowly in the gutter and going through red lights. The other, riding fast between lanes of cars, then running the lights.

I just ignored them. I would hope that by sitting in traffic with the cars that I'm proving a point. :)

I also had a twit of the four-wheel variety pass me on the right in Jeffersonville. The left lane was clear, I think he did it just to bother me.

bikeolounger said...

We've got to come up with an appropriate term for these idjits. Something that conveys some, if not all, of the aggravation they bring to mind.

After all, they are endangering us with their callous flouting of the law by making other road users angry at all cyclists, even though we set a better example.