It's Friday again. I've been able to ride to work four days this week (I presume I'll ride home this afternoon, since my bike is here and my car is not). I had a training day at the Liberty Street office on Wednesday, so my commute wasn't as far that day.
It was a mild surprise to awaken to temps in the mid-30s this morning, after a series of fairly warm days. It's only March, though, and it can (and has) snowed on Derby Day in May. It's not supposed to get very warm today, either, with predicted highs around 50F.
I had been hearing an odd noise from the rear wheel of the Vanguard lately. Wednesday afternoon, I bought some thin threadlocker compound (LocTite is a common trade name), figuring on using a trick I'd learned of when in the bike shop years ago. I'm hoping that the noise was coming from the rim joint, as all the spokes were sound and tight when I inspected the wheel. A drop or six of threadlocker in the joint, which is not welded on this rim, should do the trick, so I applied that theory Wednesday evening. I reassembled things last night, figuring on riding the Ryan to work today.
When I got on the bike this morning, I did not do my full pre-trip ABC Quick Check, assuming (and we all know the dangers of assuming) that since I had not had trouble with the tube and had just inflated the tube to operating pressure last night, it would be tight. Found out within the first block or so that it was very low on air, so I walked it back to the house and traded bikes for my ride to work. A quick, but more thorough, ABC Quick Check on the Raleigh, and away I went.
I had a small amount of paperwork to do at Liberty Street, and was surprised for the second time today. This surprise was that I was the only person in the building, and it was after 7:00 AM. Usually there are other people in the building by then. When I left, I reset the alarm, as I was still the only person in the building. Odd, that.
The time spent at that office allowed me the luxury of getting to see the morning sky get lighter. It was pretty. It's a pretty, clear day, if a bit cool outside right now.
Oh, well. Back to work. I have some inspections to perform in a few minutes.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment