28 April 2009

Rainy day again

April Showers are here. I got to work just ahead of them.

As I crossed the bridge, I enjoyed the colors in the eastern sky. This is becoming a favorite regular part of my ride to work. The quartering tailwind didn't hurt my feelings, either, although it did bode poorly for my ride home this afternoon--especially given the forecast for rain. Also as I crossed the bridge, I realized I had crossed another seasonal threshold: Today was my first day this season that I rode to work in shorts.

I stopped to grab a snack on my way to work, and while I was away from my bike, it fell over. I went outside to pick it up, and was doing so when I saw a pickup truck heading for the drive-through lane crush my front flasher that had fallen from the bike and rolled into the lane. He could easily have missed it, but I suppose the driver didn't bother to look.

Oh, well, it's an opportunity to upgrade that flasher.

I didn't want to ride the Raleigh today, but my rain gear is set up for it more than for the Vanguard. Of course, I'll get wet no matter which bike I ride, but the cape doesn't work at all on the Vanguard. My hands are still a bit tired from the yard work I did on Sunday, suggesting that my upper body muscles are out of shape. I'll have opportunity to remedy that over the summer, I'm sure.

Unlike some friends, I've not been one to keep tight records of my weight (or miles, or lots of other things). It's simply not my style to do that, although I see the value others find in doing so. I tend instead to make a mental note of the general trend, and if I like the trend, try to do things I know will continue it. It's not a terribly effective weight-loss strategy, but I've never felt strongly enough about my weight to get that serious about changing my habits to that degree.

Still, it's nice to notice a drop in weight that seems to be maintainable. Since I started casually weighing myself a few months ago, I've seen several days when my weight was under 230#, but only for a day or two. Over the last week, however, it has remained about 227#, instead of tending to be about 235#.

As I don't keep fastidious records, I cannot ascribe credit to specific changes in habit. I have reduced the amount of beer I consume by some bit, and have been riding to work more often with the better weather, and have probably eaten fewer candy bars--all of which are certainly contributing factors.

I've not done any long miles, though. I miss them. Life may keep me from riding as many of them as I'd like for a while.

...or not.

No comments: