A few random thoughts about Thunder(ous wretched Excess) Over Louisville:
Bike Louisville and Bicycling for Louisville have teamed to have bicycle parking for Thunder attendees this year. Sadly, I won't be using it, but not because I don't like the idea. I am quite supportive of the concept, but the friends with whom I will be attending Thunder are from out of town, and we don't have enough bicycles for them to partake. There is also the issue of one member of our party having some bone trouble that precludes cycling...
Indeed, were it not for these out of town friends coming for Thunder, I probably would not go. I went last year, with mostly the same group. It was the first year I'd been there since probably 1995 or -96. At that time, I could walk there from my apartment in Old Louisville, and could get away with carrying more of my personal supplies so as not to pay $5 for a pint of water (okay, so $5 is a slight exaggeration--it was probably $4). Waiting out the post-Thunder traffic jam is expensive--although it's certainly more fun to sit in a restaurant and eat than sit in the car breathing exhaust fumes.
I'll go, and I'll enjoy the people-watching. Despite my reservations about the attendant pollution issues and warmongering issues, I will enjoy the air show. I would prefer that the fireworks displays be drawn out a bit more--same number of shells over an hour instead of thirty minutes--to enjoy the effects of single shells more before the next shell blows up in the middle of the starburst from the prior one, but my attention span is ever-so-slightly longer than that of the average Thunder attendee. I'm likely to be less inebriated than many, too.
Even though we have a supply of locally-made ale for the event.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment