01 December 2010

Lazer Urbanize helmet--an update

I have a couple of these helmets now. I started with a white one that has red stripes, and added one like this picture a month or so ago. Jenn has a brown one.

I started to worry about future availability of this one when I saw size/color combinations  being discontinued by QBP, one of the wholesalers we use at the shop. I felt better when I saw the 2011 colors introduced. I've not found a way to show the catalog on here, but I'll keep looking. In the mean time, if you are interested in an Urbanize helmet, drop me a line and we'll talk color/size availability. The helmet is $100, or $80 without the $30 light set. I may be able to get a deal on a close-out size/color combination as well.

I really like the fit of this helmet. The RollSys is a neat method for adjusting the internal shape and size of the retention system, and the helmet breathes well at fairly low speeds. While the integrated lights (front and rear) are dim compared to things like the Planet Bike SuperFlash and the DiNotte taillights some friends have, they are far less likely to get knocked off the helmet in the course of regular handling. They are powered by coin batteries (CR2032 size), but they do make a difference. I was riding with Jenn one night several weeks ago, and let her get well ahead of me to get a sense of how visible she is to other road users (and since her light/reflector/clothing plan is similar to my own, I figure I can also get a sense of how visible I am). I could see the light in the back of her helmet, and how it helps other road users figure out what that UFO-looking thing up the road really is.

For winter wear (and one reason I now have two of this helmet), Lazer has introduced a $20 liner for this helmet.


To install this liner, one removes the existing padding (held in place with Velcro), and places the pads sewn into this liner in their places. The ear flaps have elastic bands affixed through which go the main helmet straps.

I finally got a chance to test this liner a few times last week. I like it, overall: It's comfy, and it keeps my forehead and ears warm on a fairly cool commute (low 30s F). I was pleasantly surprised to find that I did NOT need my usual silk balaclava to be tolerant of, if not completely comfortable at, that temperature. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this liner feels at my current temperature minimum of 20F for the hour or so commute.

The ear flaps have a curious feature that is apparently intended to allow sound through without the severe noise attenuation that would impede noticing traffic cues. My largest complaint with the liner is that it increases the wind noise ALL the time. It's not horrible, but it is noticeable.

To my knowledge, the only US distributor for Lazer Helmets is QBP. However, MANY bike shops buy from QBP, so it's easy enough to find a local bike shop that can order this for you. As may seem obvious, the shop where I work buys from QBP, and I can get you this helmet and liner if you like.

1 comment:

LvilleTex said...

I've enjoyed my Lazer for commuting. It's great to have the mini-lights. I didn't know about the liner, but if I go in that direction, you'll be getting my business.