Boy, am I glad I haven't been caught up in the snow problems being "enjoyed" by folks east and north of us! Flights canceled or delayed by days, roads blocked, hotels full to over-flowing, and such cannot be any fun for the folks affected.
Of course, there are folks who really don't understand weather, climate or what causes weather to change or dump feet of snow on us. Pat Robertson is one such person. The link goes to a Huffington Post article that details Robertson's contention that the blizzard is his god's way of delaying "gay" activities (by punishing millions of people?).
I'm trying to find some way to rationalize his viewpoint. He wants people to believe that he believes it, and I presume he wants gay people to eschew their true selves and "be straight."
A couple months ago, I enjoyed reading Darrel W. Ray's The God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture. The book begins with a chapter on how viruses work, to show why the analogy of describing religions in viral terms works so well. In later chapters, Dr. Ray discusses how religions (not specifically christianity, but also Islam and others) and the people who lead them (pastors, priests and other vectors, in consistency with the metaphor) use sexuality, guilt and fear to control religious people (hosts, to carry the metaphor).
Pat Robertson is one serious viral vector. Those who wish to not take him seriously fail to see the damage he can do to society with his heartfelt idiocy.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment