13 December 2010

Yeah, I drove

It doesn't take but so much for me to rationalize driving to work: In today's case, a sheet of ice on the street in front of my house, roughly a quarter-inch thick, did the trick. I don't have any bicycles equipped with ice-savvy treads.

I think my friend David has studded tires on his LHT, and I'm going to watch his blog to see whether he rode today and how other traffic managed around him.

Given the condition of my own street *, I figured that Rollington Road and Houston Lane would be dicey for two-wheel travel. I drove Jenn to work, then traveled LaGrange Road to Crestwood, so I haven't seen Westport Road today. Considering the condition of LaGrange Road in and near Anchorage, I would have had to allow an extra half-hour for dealing with slick spots.

*The City of Lyndon, to whom I pay property taxes as a homeowner, saw fit to send a snowplow of some sort down our street (even though it's a dead-end), judging from the "footy prints" and plow spoor I saw beside the roadway. If the snow had been deeper, I would have been okay with this. As it is, I think doing so only exposed the sheet of ice that had developed as the road surface cooled to below-freezing temperatures after the rain we had before it got cold enough to snow. When I walked the dog this morning, I was skating around quite a bit (so was the dog, which was a form of entertainment for both of us judging from his activity level). When Jenn and I left the house, we saw a car in a ditch a block or so away, at the outside of a curve in the road. It looked as if the driver had misjudged his ability to manage his car on the slick road. I would have stopped to help him--I even have a towing strap in my truck--but I knew I wouldn't have enough traction to pull his car out of the ditch.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I did ride today.

My 3.5 mile commute is nothing, and roads were simply slushy with a few tiny ice patches. The studded tires worked fine.

If I still had to ride 16.5 miles to get to work, I probably would have driven too.