I don't know why I had been such a wimp on temperatures the last few years. I really don't. When I was a teenager, I all but didn't GET cold--the band director my freshman year in high school nicknamed me "Old Anti-Freeze" after I showed up for school in a flannel shirt with the sleeves rolled above my elbows, and no coat anywhere in sight. I had ridden the bus to school, which involved waiting for said bus at the stop down the street from the house.
It was something like 6F that morning.
Of course, part of what was fueling my ability to stay warm in sub-freezing temperatures was that I was a teenager. I was known for my appetite among friends who were also teens and who also had large appetites, since they were teens. Even into my late thirties, I could eat more than some fairly active teenagers.
Maybe that's why I've always been a stocky person. I've not been reed-thin. Ever. Oh, I was thinner--in my mid-twenties, I wore pants with size 32 waist. Most of the jeans I have now are size 36, although I can sometimes get into a size 34 pair. I have some "insulation" to spare.
Since I turned thirty, though, I had noticed a steady upward trend to my low threshold. I started getting cold sooner and sooner in a same-length period outing in sub-freezing temperatures. I started finding coats useful.
In my cycling, I had determined some years ago that my low threshold was 30F. This was mostly a function of two factors--gloves and footwear--although I also found that I didn't like wearing enough layers of clothing to ride in colder weather.
Two winters ago, I was riding to work from St Matthews to N'Awb'ny, and struggled a bit with the few 30F mornings I rode. My blog entries from that period discuss some of my reluctance to ride in weather below that threshold (have I REALLY been keeping a blog that long?). Toward the end of that season, I found some good gloves, and that helped a LOT. My feet were still cold enough often enough that I was still not quite "there," though.
I've found that keeping my legs warmer helps keep my feet warmer, so last season I bought some warmer tights. I don't like having lots of layers on, but multiple thin layers usually work better for me than one thick layer. Even so, this pair of tights was of such better quality than the tights I had been using that my temperature threshold dropped ten degrees right away. I've been saying for almost a year that 20F was my new low threshold for commuting by bike.
I'm still not but so interested in riding for pleasure at such temps, but will on occasion.
Then came this morning. I was getting out of bed to feed cats and dress for walking the dog when Jenn mentioned that the outside temperature was fifteen degrees. Oh, and she will be taking the truck because she has an assortment of errands in several parts of town today. Did I want her to take me to work?
I figured that I was doing well enough with twenty degrees that I would try fifteen. All I should need is one more thin layer, right?
I changed my base layer to a thermal jersey I've owned for a few years, and added one wind shell (for a total of two). I added one very thin base layer under the jersey at the last minute.
My hands and feet were cooler than I like within a third of my trip, but never got cold enough that they were painful. My face had some cold spots where I couldn't cover skin with my balaclava, but it was tolerable. My mustache iced up, of course, but thawed out almost instantly once I got inside.
I will have a headwind on the way home, though. And the temperature won't be appreciably warmer.
Should be fun.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
1 comment:
Fun isn't it? I had errands on Monday before and after work, and rode 30 miles.
Tuesday was less than 10 miles.
Today, I just couldn't do it. I swore I wouldn't drive, so I took TARC. It was mighty crowded, but I was warm.
Post a Comment