I've driven to work all week. I missed the Car-Free Happy Hour last night, mostly because I didn't feel up to riding on what I expected would be hard-to-see ice spots on my way home, with the inevitable motorist right behind me following too close to avoid running right over top of me should I lose lateral traction and fall.
I've driven over a good portion of my usual cycling route (and looked at some I've chosen not to drive, since I don't have tire chains or studded tires on my truck), and found that at least a mile of it remains ice-covered. I don't have a bike with ice studs in the tires.
The temperatures haven't been that bad for riding--mostly above my last-season threshold of 20F--but I've chosen to not risk riding on ice. I only need two more round trips to work and back to break that 5600-mile mark, anyway. Maybe I can get those rides in next week if things melt off some over the weekend.
To soothe my psyche, Jenn and I ate at Taj Palace on Goose Creek Road last night. YUM. We had a chance to talk over some family stuff, and that was good.
The icy roads in our neighborhood have prompted me to wonder whether I could find YakTrax to fit the dog. I bought a pair for Jenn and a pair for myself a few years ago, and find them indispensable at times like these, when the precipitation melts and refreezes, leaving a nice, smooth layer of glare ice on top of whatever is already on streets, driveways, sidewalks and such. The poor dog couldn't walk on some of the driveways we normally encounter on our walks. This morning, his sense that he could walk on snow got challenged as the ice layer was strong enough that he wasn't crunching through easily. I would really prefer that he NOT hurt himself trying to walk on ice. The UltraPaws Traction boots we got him earlier in the week are not much good on glare ice.
A fellow whose name I like so well I let other folks call me by it came in this morning and ordered three bikes for his daughters. That also helps my day!
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
1 comment:
picked up some used Nokian this week and they did pretty well on our ride last night. if I'm lucky, I won't have to use them again the rest of winter, but it's nice to not be trapped.
as for pawtracks, i'm at a loss
Post a Comment