22 March 2011

Milestones

It's been a while since I did a "firsts of the season" post.

I've been hearing what I thought were red-wing blackbirds for a few days, but today I saw my first one of the season. I've heard folks jokingly call them "Sergeant birds" for their tendency to perch on a fence and act bossy with their red and yellow patches on their wings. I always enjoy seeing them this time of year--they are a harbinger of spring as surely as are robins (which I've been seeing and hearing for weeks).

There has been some hawk activity near the house--we hear one or several almost daily. Jenn spotted one perched on a swing set in a backyard along our route home after our Sunday brunch, watching for its own meal, I am certain.

Today was also my first ride to work in short pants for this season, although I've ridden in short sleeves several times by now.

A couple other neat sightings over the last few days: On Rollington Road, there was a dead animal--not sure whether it was a raccoon or opossum--but twice this week I've gone by as a turkey vulture was having a snack. Each time, the bird acted as if to fly away, but stayed in place as I rode by well toward the other side of the road. Each time, a take-off in the direction the bird was facing would have put the bird in my path, and I really don't want to collide with the head of a turkey vulture as he or she is taking off. This morning, I passed the bird and there was a car not far behind me. I didn't get to see how the bird dealt with the car passing by--I was busy watching where I was going through a series of road patches and minor pot holes and making sure the motorist was far enough away from me.

I've seen several deer over the last few days--once as many as five--and those on my normal commute routes. It must be something about their daylight clock time being close to my commute time. I doubt I would have noticed the deer had I been in a car.

I logged my commute today, and poked around at some of the stats available to me at mycyclinglog.com. I'm really having a good time with the numbers so far this year! So far in 2011, I've ridden 1559 miles (I keep finding myself tempted to go for a ride around the block to get that extra half mile or two miles...) and logged 1352 miles instead of driving a car. In March alone, I've ridden over 580 miles, and the month is far from done--which puts my monthly mileage for March ahead of all but four months of 2010 (and likely to beat two of those four). If Jenn and I ride the century we intend to ride this coming Sunday, that might make March a record month for miles (although I doubt it--I rode more than 800 miles in July of last year). Last week, I rode more than I did during all but two weeks of 2011--and one of those two weeks was the week we did RAIN. As of today, I've already bested something like twelve weeks out of the fifty-two in 2010, and it's only Tuesday!

I'm getting to ride a LOT.

No comments: