08 March 2011

Tuesday's ride to work with a long-time friend

I rode the Vanguard to work, after leaving it sit for over a week.

I had ridden the Raleigh to work last Tuesday, thinking I would bring home the new bike that night. I got to bring it home Wednesday evening. I rode it again Thursday and Friday, and drove Saturday. I rode the new bike again on Monday, for some reason--probably still wanting to enjoy some new bike bliss.

Wanting to enjoy my long-time favorite bike, though, I pumped up the tires on the Vanguard this morning. I had been pleasantly surprised at how fast the Vienna feels compared to the Raleigh, and wanted to see how the big purple bike fared on that scale.

I wasn't disappointed. It's still comfortable enough and low enough that the speed compares favorably with the new bike. I've long known that the Vanguard is not a particularly fast bike--I bought my first performance recumbent in 2001 based on it having a perceived ten percent speed improvement over the Vanguard. My current "go-fast" (well, sort-of fast...) bike, my Bacchetta Strada, is probably fifteen percent faster on level ground than the Vanguard with similar perceived effort, and climbs MUCH better.

But the Vanguard remains my most comfortable bike. It can haul stuff--lots of stuff, if need be. It's my most versatile bike in that regard--I don't mind riding it long distances (although I tend to prefer the Strada for club centuries), I can haul stuff with it, and deal with most weather with it.

I'm going to the Mayor's Budget Forum (or whatever the formal title is) in Middletown tonight. I have a bit more to do before I leave the store, so I'd better get back to it.

No comments: