02 March 2011

The New Bike is Home

I rode the new bike home tonight. Its shake-down run doubled as my homeward commute, pulling the Safety 1st trailer onto which I had tied the Raleigh.



I didn't use the workstand this time--just the trailer. I tied the top tube to the crossbar of the trailer's frame, then tied the wheels to the front corners of the trailer much like before. The rear wheel of the Raleigh was to the right instead of to the left this time, so I attached an additional taillight to its handlebar as a marker so overtaking road users could give me enough room.



I'm not sure I want to use the new bike to pull a trailer on a regular basis, unless I upgrade the Burley's hitch to use a quick-release connector. I'm not certain it would work, but Burley still offers a five-pack of axle connectors so that I could put one on each of several bikes in the garage and have that trailer work on each bike with a quick-release pin. This would be an improvement over the current situation, as the Burley trailer will now only work with the Raleigh, due to the shape of the rear triangle near the dropout. Both of the new bikes have disc brake calipers in that area, and the Ryans have a different shape rear end to their frames. Right now the only trailer we can use with a Vanguard is the Safety 1st. I can use the Safety 1st on the Globe bikes, but would prefer to not do that due to the location of the brake line.

As for the new bike, it rides quite well. I found it largely quieter than the Raleigh over bumps, probably because of the way I have the two taillights mounted on the Raleigh. The wheels roll better, to be sure. The Globe is livelier than the Raleigh by a fair measure.

It's going to be a fun bike to own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the new bikes.

I saw your post on kycyclist about the trailer (just like yours I believe). I called and left a message. I got a call back last night, and I'll be riding down to New Cut and Outer Loop after work. Barring any issues with the trailer it'll be mine, and I'll tow it home. Then, I too, can haul a bike with a bike. :)